Rain and Thunder: A Radical Feminist Journal of Discussion and Activism is a grassroots publication created and distributed by a collective of radical feminist women. Started in 1998, Rain and Thunder provides a space for radical feminist thought, analysis, creativity, activism, and resistance to flourish. We seek to bring to the forefront the voices, issues, politics, and struggles of radical feminist women in the U.S. and internationally.
Rain and Thunder derives its name from an 1845 quote by Frederick Douglass who escaped slavery and dedicated his life to the struggle for freedom and justice. He was one of the few at the Seneca Falls Convention to second Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s call for women’s suffrage. The quote: “Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are those who want crops without plowing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.” Rain and Thunder seeks to synthesize theory and practice – aiming to sustain, and further radical feminist movement building and activism.
Rain and Thunder publishes women’s writing from radical feminist perspectives and writing that contributes to radical feminist ideas. A radical feminist perspective is one that is aware that:
- men, as a class, are waging a war against women
- rape, battering, incest, prostitution, pornography, poverty, heterosexuality, and gynocide are some of the main instruments of male supremacy
- all forms of hierarchy and domination, including misogyny, racism, classism, ableism, ageism, and every other interconnected oppression, must be opposed
- we must strive to eradicate domination and subordination from our personal lives and sexual practices
- organized, political resistance is necessary to make change in our local communities and the world
Join us in creating a culture of resistance and a liberation movement! Subscribe and take part in Rain and Thunder!
Get a better understanding of radical feminism by perusing through these quotes by noteworthy radical feminists or writings that contribute to radical feminism.
Learn more about Rain and Thunder and radical feminism by perusing our FAQ page.Timeline of Rain and Thunder
Learn about Rain and Thunder's herstory by checking out this timeline of our first 10 years.Radical Feminist Resources
Get connected to radical feminist books, blogs, organizations, and other resources!
Support Feminist Media!
Rain and Thunder depends on grassroots support. Please consider making a donation today!